Tuesday 1 June 2010

The Power of your Logo, your Business Card, a Push Chair and a Gust of Wind

Today has been an amazing day, for all the times I have been told that your brand / logo is your most valuable, yet constantly under valued marketing tool. Today was the day that the true power of my brand was realised. After a mad dash across town to meet with a new client, i came to a sudden and undignified stop when a push chair lunged at me and almost sent me arse over t*t on the pavement. I did managed to stay on my feet but my bag and folder did spill out onto the floor. All my sketch books and laptop stayed inside my bag but a whole wad of my business cards quite literally took to the skies. However, I do seem to have about 50 million of them so i wasn't too bothered about losing some. I quickly navigated the push chair and after checking the lady was OK I somewhat more cautiously continued onto my appointment in town. Thankfully I did get to my meeting with time to spare and to present my initial design ideas to what turned out to be a very impressed and subsequently happy client, as I have just heard that not only has he signed off on stage 2 of the designs, but also recommended me to one of his customers. Result!!! But hey I digress, that wasn't the best part of my day! After leaving my morning meeting in town, I decided to drop off for a well earned coffee at a certain well know coffee establishment. With coffee in hand I headed towards a vacant table, and whilst reading a few messages on my phone, I looked up, and onto the table top where - GUESS WHAT - oh yes, one of my business cards was sitting!!! Sounds a bit sad, but i felt quite excited to see my card sitting their with the my company logo sat so pristine next to the sugar bowl. I couldn't help but pick it up, and on doing so i noticed someone had made a note on it, couldn't make out what it said, but the fact someone had picked it up from where ever it had landed, (well i presume it was one i had dropped earlier) and found it to be either eye-catching or of interest to them, made me feel quite cool! But here is the best part of my day, later on that afternoon when i was back in the office i got a call from a lady who was wanting a new logo designing, a new range of marketing material, plus a web site. When asking where she had heard about us, yep you guessed it. She said my card had quite literally fallen into her lap whilst waiting to be picked up by a work colleague on their way to a marketing meeting!

Now this is totally true, a little scary, but ultimately a completely true chain of events. The combination of good design, mixed with everyday weirdness, which makes this planet such a very bizarre place to reside.

So far I am loving the month of June, wonder what tomorrow has in store?

No comments:

Post a Comment